I finally created an add-in for Excel that includes many of the tools that I use all the time and have outlined on this site. The add-in will create a new menu in Excel and setup a number of shortcuts. Here are some of the more useful ones:
- Ctrl-Shift-C - Automatically color selected cells based on their content (values=blue, formula=black, ref to another sheet=green, offset=red)
- Ctrl-Shift-U - Toggle an underline for the selected cells
- Ctrl-Shift-O - Toggle an overline for the selected cells
- Ctrl-Shift-A - Toggle center (Align) across the selected cells
- Ctrl-Shift-V - Paste just values
- Conditional Deletes - Delete any cell/row from the current selection that is a duplicate of the prior cell
- Format selected cells as multiples (ie, "4.75x") - A toolbar button is added to the format toolbar
- Close Excel
- Save the file MVG-Code.xla in C:\Documents and Settings\your-user-id\Application Data\Microsoft\AddIns
- Open Excel back up, if you have the "Action" menu after "Help", then you are done. If not, go on to 4.
- Go to Tools->Add-Ins and put a check mark by "MVG Custom Macros". If you don't see it in the list, click "Browse" and select MVG-Code.xla. Click OK and you should see a new "Actions" menu.
Hope someone finds these useful. I have been using these for years without any issues, but please let me know if you run into problems.